Monday, June 9, 2014

The Major League Draft (Part 2): The Truth about the Road to the Show

Continuing upon my last post, I wish to conclude my statistical analysis of the Major League Baseball Entry Level Draft.  In this blog, I am going to continue with my analytical comparison between the players selected from college and the players selected from high school.  However, this time, I am going to compare the average number of years it takes a drafted player to make their major league debut, considering both classes of players.  I will then move on to a comparison between the percentages of players from each class who either failed to debut or have not yet debuted as of June 9th, 2014.

For the following statistical analysis performed, my data set was comprised of the first round picks from 2000-2010.  It does not include the supplemental first round picks.


College High School
Average Number of Years until debut 2.33 3.91
Percentage of Players without debut 22.49% 40.13%

Much can be derived from the preceding statistics.  As one can see, similarly to my conclusions from "The Major League Draft (Part 1)", the players who were drafted out of college programs displayed better figures.  The college drafted players were able to reach the Major League level in roughly 1.5 years faster than the high school drafted players.  This may have some correlation to the fact that the college players are older and have had more time to develop.  Also, generally, the level of competition that the college players are exposed to is much greater than what the high school players see.  If you are going into the draft, looking for a prospect that can climb the ranks quickly, I would recommend leaning towards a college player.  Not only did the college players prove to progress quicker, but they also displayed a greater debut efficiency.  Through this statement, I mean that a greater percentage of college drafted players were able to make their Major League debut in comparison to the same percentage for the high school drafted players.  The percentage of players from high school who did not make their debut is nearly twice as much as that same percentage for the players from college.

Considering all of the analyses I have performed regarding the Major League Baseball draft, I would have to maintain my conjecture that the college level players are the safer picks.  All of the statistics I incorporated, in both this post and the previous post, advocate this belief as well.  Lastly, I would just like to reiterate my belief that there are exceptions to this statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment